This is our guide to Level 2 Food Hygiene courses in the UK. We include training topics covered and top food safety e-learning providers for catering, retail and manufacturing.
Level 2 Food Hygiene Training Topics
In the UK, Level 2 Food Hygiene training is designed to provide a basic understanding of safety practices for those working in a food and drinks handling environment. The courses are suitable for people working in various food-related sectors such as catering, retail, and manufacturing.
The topics covered in the Level 2 Food Hygiene course typically include:
- Food safety legislation: Understanding the legal responsibilities and regulations in the UK, such as the Food Safety Act 1990 and the Food Hygiene Regulations 2006.
- Foodborne illnesses: Recognising common foodborne illnesses, their causes, and symptoms. You also learn how to prevent them through proper food handling practices.
- Food contamination: Learning about various types of food contamination. These include physical, chemical, and microbiological contaminants, and ways to prevent or minimise them.
- Personal hygiene: Importance of personal hygiene in food handling, including hand washing, protective clothing, and illness reporting.
- Cleaning and sanitising: Effective cleaning and sanitising methods to maintain a hygienic environment. Covers the use of cleaning chemicals, equipment, and techniques.
- Food storage: Proper storage practices, including temperature control, labelling, and stock rotation to minimise spoilage and contamination risks.
- Food preparation: Safe techniques for preparing food and drinks. These include proper thawing, cooking, cooling, and reheating methods to ensure food safety.
- Pest control: Understanding the risks associated with pests. Implementing effective pest control measures to maintain a hygienic environment.
- Waste management: Proper disposal of unused food and other waste materials to minimise contamination risks and maintain cleanliness.
- Allergen management: Recognising common food allergens, understanding allergen legislation, and implementing procedures to prevent cross-contamination of allergenic foods.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants typically receive a Level 2 food hygiene certificate. This demonstrates their understanding of basic food safety and hygiene principles. This certification is usually valid for three years, after which a refresher course is recommended.
Food Hygiene Level 2 Course Providers
Here are some of the top Food Hygiene Level 2 course providers in the UK, along with their relevant web pages.
High Speed Training
High Speed Training is a popular and well-established provider of e-learning, including online Level 2 Food Hygiene courses for catering, retail and manufacturing. There are several reasons why you might choose High Speed Training for this type of course:
- Accreditation: High Speed Training’s courses are accredited by the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Certification Service, and they are also recognized by several organizations such as the Royal Society for Public Health (RSPH) and the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH). This ensures that the course content meets industry standards and is up-to-date with the latest food safety regulations.
- Flexibility: High Speed Training offers online courses that allow you to learn at your own pace and on your own schedule. This flexibility makes it easy for busy professionals to complete the course without having to attend in-person classes.
- Comprehensive course content: Their Level 2 Food Hygiene courses are designed to cover all the essential topics required for food handlers working in different sectors such as catering, retail, and manufacturing.
- User-friendly platform: High Speed Training’s online platform is designed to be user-friendly and engaging, with interactive features such as quizzes, videos, and illustrations to help learners understand the course material more effectively.
- Customer support: High Speed Training provides responsive customer support to answer any questions or concerns you may have during the course.
- Immediate certification: Upon successful completion of the course and passing the final assessment. Learners receive a downloadable certificate instantly, without having to wait for it to be sent by mail.
- Competitive pricing: High Speed Training’s courses are competitively priced. They are an affordable option for individuals or businesses looking to train multiple staff members.
These are some of the reasons why you might choose a Level 2 Food Hygiene course from High Speed Training.
Virtual College offers online training, including Food Hygiene Level 2 courses. They provide suitable courses for a variety of industries, such as catering, manufacturing, and retail.
There are several reasons why you might choose Virtual College for this type of training:
- Accreditation and recognition: Virtual College’s Level 2 Food Hygiene courses are accredited by the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Certification Service, and they are endorsed by the Institute of Hospitality. This ensures that the course content is up-to-date and meets industry standards.
- Flexibility: As an online course provider, Virtual College allows learners to complete the training at their own pace and on their schedule. This flexibility is particularly valuable for busy professionals who cannot attend in-person classes.
- Comprehensive content: The Level 2 Food Hygiene courses offered by Virtual College are designed to cover all essential topics required for food handlers working in various sectors, such as catering, retail, and manufacturing.
- Engaging learning experience: Virtual College’s platform is designed to be engaging, interactive, and user-friendly. The courses include various learning tools like videos, quizzes, and case studies to enhance the learner’s understanding of the material.
- Access to course material: Once enrolled, learners have access to the course material for up to a year, allowing them to revisit the content for review or clarification as needed.
- Customer support: Virtual College provides dedicated customer support to assist learners with any questions or concerns during the course.
- Immediate certification: Upon successful completion of the course and passing the final assessment, learners can download their certificate instantly.
- Competitive pricing: Virtual College offers its courses at competitive prices, making them an affordable option for individuals or businesses looking to train multiple staff members.
These are some of the reasons why you might choose a Level 2 Food Safety & Hygiene course from Virtual College. However, it is essential to research and compare different providers. This will help ensure you select the one that best meets your needs and preferences.
More Level 2 Food Safety Course Providers
The Training Terminal: https://www.thetrainingterminal.com/courses/
National Caterers Association (NCASS) Training: https://www.ncass.org.uk/training/food-hygiene/
Reference websites for food hygiene and health & safety
- Food Standards Agency (FSA): https://www.food.gov.uk
- The Royal Society for Public Health (RSPH): https://www.rsph.org.uk
- The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH): https://www.cieh.org
If you’re running a business or looking to improve other skills, you may be interested in more online courses showcased here at e-Learning Centre.