Here we look at the requirements for gaining the LOLER certificate and training courses to study online via e-learning. LOLER training is essential for compliance with the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998.
What is LOLER?
The Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998 or LOLER is UK legislation aimed at reducing risks associated with lifting equipment in the workplace. It covers aspects such as ensuring equipment strength, stability, safe working loads, proper installation, and safe operation.
LOLER training is one of the most in-demand of health and safety courses in the UK. It is essential for any business involved in lifting equipment and the legislation sits within the overarching Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
The LOLER regulations mandate regular, thorough examinations and inspections by competent persons and outlines specific obligations for employers and workers regarding equipment safety, maintenance, and training. It also includes record-keeping requirements and addresses legal responsibilities in case of equipment-related incidents.
What is the LOLER Certificate?
The LOLER certificate in the UK refers to the certification process under the “Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998” (LOLER). These regulations are a set of legal requirements in the United Kingdom aimed at ensuring the safety of lifting operations and equipment. The key points about LOLER certification are:
- Inspection and Testing: LOLER requires that all lifting equipment must be regularly inspected and thoroughly tested to ensure it is safe for use. This includes a wide range of equipment, such as cranes, forklifts, hoists, and even elevators.
- Competent Personnel: The inspections and tests must be carried out by competent persons who have the necessary expertise and qualifications to assess the safety of the lifting equipment.
- Certification: Following a successful inspection and test, a LOLER certificate is issued. This certificate serves as proof that the equipment has been inspected and is considered safe for use until the next required inspection.
- Regular Inspections: The regulations stipulate specific intervals for these inspections, which can vary depending on the type of equipment and its usage.
- Record Keeping: Employers are required to keep records of all inspections and tests, including any defects found and the remedial action taken.
- Legal Requirement: Compliance with LOLER is not optional; it is a legal requirement for employers in the UK who own or operate lifting equipment. Non-compliance can lead to legal penalties.
LOLER is part of a broader set of regulations known as the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER), which covers all types of work equipment and workplace machinery to ensure they are used safely.
LOLER Training Courses
The following companies offer LOLER training courses online in the UK:
High Speed Training
This course offers a same-day digital certificate, with a printed version posted the next working day. It covers various aspects of LOLER and related legislation, risk control, and planning and supervising lifting operations. The course is accredited by the CPD Certification Service and RoSPA.
This course is designed for individuals who work with lifting equipment, aiming to enhance their understanding of the LOLER (Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998) requirements. The course equips learners with knowledge on how to comply with these regulations, ensuring the safety of those involved in or around lifting operations and equipment. Key aspects of the course include risk assessment techniques, criteria for selecting the right lifting equipment, guidelines for equipment maintenance, and strategies for thoroughly planning lifting operations.
Key details of the course:
- Regulatory Compliance: It is written in accordance with the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998.
- Course Development: The course material has been developed by experts in health and safety.
- Accreditation: It is accredited by CPD (Continuing Professional Development) and assured by RoSPA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents) Qualifications.
- Format: This is an online course with an assessment and includes full audio voiceover.
- Duration: It typically takes between 2 to 3 hours to complete.
- Certification: Participants will receive a digital certificate on the same day, and a printed certificate will be posted the following working day.
The course aims to provide a comprehensive understanding of LOLER requirements, ensuring those who work with lifting equipment can do so safely and in compliance with relevant regulations.
Learn more about the High Speed Training LOLER course on their website.
They provide a comprehensive LOLER Training course that is IOSH approved. The course covers fundamental requirements for compliance with the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998, broken down into five sections for ease of understanding. The course ends with a multiple-choice test and issues a personal certificate upon completion.
Learn more about the iHasco LOLER course on their site.
The Skills Centre
The Skills Centre LOLER training course is designed to help reduce the risks of accidents from any activity related to lifting. This is an IOSH approved bitesize e-learning course.
To ensure successful lifting operations, meticulous planning, the establishment of secure work systems, expert supervision, and comprehensive examinations are essential. The LOLER training they offer covers these critical requirements in detail to guarantee compliance with the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998. This course is endorsed by IOSH, and upon its completion, participants will be awarded a personalised certificate.
The training programme is structured into five distinct sections for easy comprehension. These include:
- an introduction to LOLER
- guidelines for selecting appropriate equipment
- insights on optimal equipment setup locations
- strategies for efficient operation planning
- methods for effective equipment maintenance.
The course ends with a 20-question multiple-choice test, designed to assess your understanding of the material covered. To enhance the learning experience and ensure active participation, the course also includes brief questionnaires within each section.
In addition to receiving a printable LOLER certificate upon passing the test, the course also features a Learning Management System (LMS) where all training progress and results are securely stored. This system allows for easy access to reprint certificates, adjust pass marks, and serves as evidence of your dedication to legal compliance in lifting operations.
Your LOLER Training Certificate will prominently display your name, your company’s name (if applicable), the course title, your pass percentage, the completion date, and the validity period. It will also bear the seals of approval or accreditations from recognised authorities, underscoring the authenticity and recognition of your achievement.
Learn more about The Skills Centre LOLER training course.
The Training Express LOLER course is suitable for various professionals, including LOLER technicians, construction workers, and crane operators. It provides an accredited certification from CPD, covering safe lifting operations, risk assessment, and planning lifting operations.
Read more about the Training Express course on safe lifting for LOLER certification.
Commodius offer an online LOLER Training course that includes full voiceover, instant access to a PDF certificate upon completion, and an IIRSM approved certificate. The course takes about an hour to complete and covers the regulations, equipment selection, planning of lifting operations, and maintenance requirements.
Learn more about online LOLER training from Commodius.
Each of these LOLER courses offers different features and focuses, so it’s worth checking them out to see which one best fits your needs and preferences.